Chose One Making You Better Feeling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chose One Making You Better Feeling

A Forum for General Technology and Entertainment interests as well as a section for Off Topic chat.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Colony

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gh05tf0x
Cyber Samurai
gh05tf0x

The Colony Empty
PostSubject: The Colony   The Colony Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 7:53 pm

"Ten volunteers enter an experimental post-apocalyptic world to see if they can survive and rebuild after a global disaster."

I just discovered this show and I think these are all the episodes so far:

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/the-colony/ (The episodes are listed in reverse, it starts with "Arrival and Survival")

I think it's pretty bad ass, anyone else like it?
Back to top Go down
Paradox
is a G
is a G
Paradox

The Colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Colony   The Colony Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 6:00 am

I saw a commercial for this and nearly stood up and cheered at the idea. The concept sounds fucking fantastic but I am still curious to see how it plays out. Cant wait to watch.
Back to top Go down
Thinker
is a G
is a G
Thinker

The Colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Colony   The Colony Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 8:25 am

Is it a reality show? If so... you can't capture the real concepts of post-apocalyptic humans unless those humans actually believe they live in a real post-apocalyptic setting. Otherwise it's just a game and home is always just a quit away. Granted, it'd be more interesting than Survivor, but ultimately very similar.
Back to top Go down
gh05tf0x
Cyber Samurai
gh05tf0x

The Colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Colony   The Colony Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 4:06 pm

No, nobody gets eliminated. They have to survive for 10 weeks in a post-apocalyptic setting (Closed off industrial area near downtown L.A.). And some of the shit they come up with is fucking genius. I seriously advise anyone that has even the slightest interest in survival to give it a go.

NOTE:
They also have rival gangs that attack them. They aren't suppose to harm them physically (shit happens though), but the colonist don't know that. And they even try to introduce new colonist later without telling the others to see if they team up or not. It's pretty legit.
Back to top Go down
Paradox
is a G
is a G
Paradox

The Colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Colony   The Colony Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 3:10 am

Dude, this sounds fucking awesome!
Back to top Go down
Paradox
is a G
is a G
Paradox

The Colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Colony   The Colony Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 4:03 am

After watching all the episodes up till now, which is eight, I have to say that this show is fucking awesome. Its great to watch alone or in a group, high or sober. When watching in a group it definitely gets the group talking about and discussing what you would do if you were in their situation, especially if your all baked.

The things these people invent and create is awesome. I don't think that a legitimate colony in an actual apocalypse would have as many useful people that this one does. It seems that all the colonists have a job or profession that is relevant to the situation (except for John C who is a computer engineer but has pretty much contributed more to the group than everyone else combined). You have to think that there would be stockbrokers, bankers, business men, unemployed people, cashiers, etc...

One thing that kind of bugs me is the disclaimer at the end: "The participants in 'The Colony' experiment are presented with situations that were created by the producers. They receive support from off-camera experts when their health or safety may be in danger. Viewers should not attempt to engage in the activities depicted in this experiment." I understand that they can't let people die or anything but I would be happier if they showed when a person used off-camera help. That way you know that when the camera isn't looking everyone isn't sunbathing and sipping margaritas.

You can also tell that the colonists haven't forgot that they are in an experiment because they have yet to physically strike any attackers. In the first episode in the grocery store they just let the looter rip a duffel bag of supplies from them and leave. In the most recent episode a few thugs break the solar panels on their newly built trike. The trike scene was a little more believable cause the colonists were badly outnumbered. In any case if it were me and it were real I would kill anyone that looked at me, let alone smashed one of my solar panels or stole my food.

All in all the show is fantastic. The colonists are extremely inventive and could definitely survive in real apocalypse. If you haven't seen it yet, its worth the watch. The show airs on Tuesdays on Discovery channel.

On a side note I found a blog of some guy hating on the show. The guy is an idiot and his points are dumb but I found it amusing.
http://www.joelogon.com/blog/2009/08/wanted-dumb-crisis-manager-plus.html
I just realized his aim is on there. If your down next time we smoke we should troll this guy or girl or whatever it is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Colony   The Colony Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Colony
Page 1 of 1